A HOW-TO WHEN YOU’RE HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS
With the holidays looking a little bit different this year, we’ve been cooking up a few ways to make sure this time still feels special. At Bluebird in a Box, we believe every day is a good day to celebrate, and we’re going to make sure you do, too!
If you, like us, could use a bit of a 2020 palette cleanser, check out our suggestions for how to incorporate some slow and easy self-care into your holiday season. Finding the time to take care of you is always worth a celebration!
BUT don’t throw away the party blowers just yet. Even if you’re going to be away from friends and family this year, you don’t have to leave the fun out in the cold. We’ve got some ideas to help you spice up being at home for the holidays!
TAKE CARE OF “YU(LE)”
- Enjoy a rosemary or ginger salt bath to soothe fatigue and anxiety. Ahhh, we can smell the inner peace from here.
- Try something you’ve always been curious about – like a new language or the ukulele (we see you, Zooey Deschanel!). Learning new skills is an instant energy boost, so scope out this list from Mashable of fun places on the internet to learn new things!
- Schedule a Zoom watch party of your favorite holiday movie with family or friends – here’s how!
- Whatever your guiltiest pleasure is – do it. It’s all about you, baby. For us, it’s a heaping cart of new beauty products.
- Make something with your hands. Whether it’s baking, drawing, or whittling (we have a friend who whittles spoons from wood all December long), there something very meditative about getting back to basics and making something from nothing. We’ll be busy making everything on A Beautiful Mess’ round-up of easy things to make while watching TV! (And they’d make great presents, too, if you’re still looking for ideas!)
- Be a couch potato – stock the fridge with your favorite foods and spend the day unapologetically catching up on all the shows, podcasts, magazines, and books you’ve been saving up. You can shower tomorrow.
- And then get moving – the next day, make sure to stretch (ways to make it fun here!) or take a nice walk (here’s some inspo).
SPICE THINGS UP
- We love these colorful spicy margarita kits (and they offer other great cocktail kits, too) – mail them to a group of girlfriends and then schedule a Zoom happy hour!
- It hasn’t been a traditional year, so why not scrap the usual family recipes and have a Spanish tapas feast instead? We love these easy recipes from Brit + Co.
- If you’re going to be out and about, dress to the nines! Sequins, faux fur, mile-high boots. (Frankly, we support doing this whether you’re leaving the house or not!) Sparkle, honey! (Get a vintage-style disposable camera and take retro photos of your holiday at home.)
- Have a little tipple and lay on your backs under the tree. What’s said under the Christmas tree, stays under the Christmas tree.
- Really go ALL OUT with the holiday decorations. Since you won’t be soaking up as much of the festive atmosphere around town, bring the North Pole to you. Don’t stop until your home looks like the Saks 5th Avenue Christmas window!
- Play reindeer games! Here are a bunch of fun holiday games you can play at home (and some virtually)!
- Ditch the phones and have a blast with this collection of conversation starters (from family themes to truth or dare for couples)!
- And for our darling little believers, you can actually video chat with Santa here!